The below facts have been identified through research of The Development Without Displacement Campaign of which The Point Breeze Organizing Committee is a proud member.
1. 37% of Philadelphia households today earn less than $25,000/year
2. 42% of renters in the year 2000 paid too much of their income on rent.**
3. 52% of renters in the year 2012 paid too much of their income on rent.
4. Every Council District has at least 45% of households that pay too much on rent.
5. In North Philadelphia, from 2000-2012, incomes decreased by 6%. At the same time, the average sale price of a house increased by 200%
6. In West Philadelphia, from 2000-2012, the average rent increased by 19%. In that same period, income decreased by 11%
7. In South Philadelphia, from 2000-2012, the average cost of a house increased by 184%. In that same period income increased by 4%. *^
8. In South Philadelphia, from 2000-2012, the racial composition became 29% less Black.
**Too much is defined as more than 30% of their income.
*^ As is suggested by looking at fact #7 & #8 next to each other, even though there was an income increase in the district, there is unfortunately no reason to believe, that the income increase was experienced by long-term residents, rather it appears the new composition accounted for the increase in income level.